Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ruminations from a month out

No, we did not have our baby. That's a wee little baby Clara hand.
























We're down to about one month before I'll be a mother of two humans. I keep having nightmares. Last night involved a nightmare about an enormous booger. I know it's gross, but it's the cold, hard truth. (I thought my pregnancy dreams with Clara were out-of-this-world strange, but the ones I've had lately have blown those old ones of pregnancy yonder out of the water.)

I'm pretty nervous about, oh, everything. I remember all too well how hard those first few months were.  And how Tom and I both thought that I'd lost my sanity for good? Yeah.

Oh the tears! Buckets full!

Plus, I hope Clara's not mad at me for too long for throwing off her entire universe with a sister that she's going to have to share her toys with and be nice to, for pete's sake.

I don't feel too ready, either. I have plans and goals—freezer meals, fix up the nursery completely, buy an entire pallet of witch hazel pads. You know, all the usual stuff. I keep waiting for this nesting business to kick in, but so far the only nesting I've had has come in the form of lazing on the couch trying out new cookies from recipes on Pinterest. As is the trademark of this pregnancy, I've just been tired. (Don't be so quick to judge—I always wait until after Clara's in bed for such lazy tendencies. Plus, I don't like sharing cookies.)

A few days ago I sat down with Clara and we looked at a bunch of pictures of her as a newborn. We only have like 7 or 8 million. It brought back a flood of memories, which I suppose is what brought about this post. Also, it gave Clara the chance to point at every single picture and exclaim "That's baby Clara!" "That's Mommy!" "That's Daddy!" (Boy, they weren't kidding about that whole toddler repetition thing, were they? Whew!)

Allow me to elaborate on the memory flood.

In exhibit A, we have shell-shocked new parents who are just trying to figure out what on earth to do, and a teensy baby who often seems like she's not too fond of the new world she's a part of:

























And in exhibit B, we have proof that the newborn lifestyle isn't all too bad. And looking back it passes by oh so quickly.


























Boy howdy, I am looking forward to some more newborn snuggle time.

And raise your hand if you hope lil' sis has the same afro hairstyle that her big sister sported for the first 7 months of her life.

Both of my hands are completely up. 

4 comments:

Kris said...

All those tender first memories coming back to you, huh? And some of the worry, too, I see. Never fear....it is much, much easier the 2nd time because you know what to expect. You and Clara and Tom will sail through this like the pros that you are! Can't wait to see you soon! Hugs.......

Shelly said...

I love your momma's comment. So true. I just want to freeze that hairdo in time and keep it forever in the palm of my hand.

thekerrclan said...

I'm going to be honest...Mom is lying to you. It's just as hard the second time around...just in different ways. How's that for the cold hard facts of life?

thekerrclan said...

Ok, kidding! I couldn't resist. You'll all be fine. Just remember that every kid means adjusting to a new NORMAL. Whatever that may be. Love you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails