Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The evolution of Season's wimpiness



















Once when I was quite young, my mom heard me shrieking inside my room. Rushing up the stairs, she found that a fly happened to be the source of my horror and agony. Now, I don't actually recall this experience. But in my own defense, I'd like to make a case that the fly was one of those ridiculously huge, obese, purply ones. The kind that you can hear buzzing from 50 feet away because they're so massive. Whatever the case, my mom sure gets a kick out of telling the story. I'm sure she exaggerates anyway. We were probably only just having a good chuckle during a tea party.



















Once in high school I returned home from an evening with friends (by curfew, mind you) to find that our porch light (which had been left on for my return) was coated with moths. Here's the first lesson you need to know about me if you do not already: I don't like moths. In fact, I despise them.  I believe it's a genetic problem. Anyway. The thought of walking past a band of moth bullies terrified me, so I made my way to the back door in our back yard. As luck would have it, my dad was still awake, and although he was probably startled by the rapping tapping, he kindly unlocked the door and let me enter. The porch light was henceforth promptly shut off upon nightfall so that I could enter through the front door without incident.



















Once, a few nights ago, I went into our kitchen to get a drink before going to bed. I spotted a moth, instantly dropped what I was doing (literally) and ran to our room to notify Tom. After a slightly drawn-out song and dance (almost literally) about how he'd nobly and promptly take care of it, the moth was long gone, hiding comfortably somewhere in our comfortable home. I was paranoid for the entire proceeding 24 hours, until the culprit decided to show himself again and the issue was taken care of.

So—there hasn't really been a whole lot of evolving. Well, I don't cause a scene over flies anymore. Many of you may be wondering what my problem is. Many of you may be saying to yourself "A moth is just like a butterfly." Let me explain their differences. A butterfly is pretty. A butterfly is graceful. A butterfly isn't all hopped up on caffeine. But as I said before, this is pretty much a genetic problem—so I'm hardly to be faulted.

9 comments:

Tracy Giles said...

I could say the same thing in regards to my complete and utter dislike for spiders. Rumor has it the youth might be toilet papering us tonight. I wish you were here!! We have the hose all ready to go :)

Audra said...

I love the drawings! I agree moths are nothing like butterflies!

hayleemj said...

Season,
I must be related because I too hate moths!! Once I had one get a little too friendly with me under my shirt during a camping trip and I almost died of a heart attack... So it surely is in the genes.

hayleemj said...

BTW this is your cousin Haylee :)
our blog is justandhayjohnsonclan.blogspot.com if you wanna ever check it out.

Shelly said...

As we speak, no lie, Charlie is yelling from downstairs, "Mommy, there's a bug coming!!" I better go check it out.

thekerrclan said...

Yes, it is in the genes - along with an extreme fear of spiders...Do you remember the Brian Head reunion (I doubt it -- but I think you were the one who came down with the flu) where the moths hovered (open cabin windows - literally) above our heads all night long?

I should post another spider story that just happened...except everytime I post a spider story, I get scared to read my own blog -- unti the posting gets all the way to the end.

Season said...

Yes, Tace— I DO remember that Brianhead trip. I was so sick, and I think that's where a good portion of my hatred for moths started.

Kris said...

I remember that trip...one of the longest nights of my life! I think there might be something to the genes idea....my fear began one night when I was a little girl and I got to go with my Dad and Steve to one of Dad's baseball games at Tautphaus Park. Have I told you this story? If not, remind me to tell you sometime. It is one of my earliest memories of Kamikaze moths = fear.

Autumn Hill said...

Oh Season that is too funny. I love the accompanying drawings!

Now mostly bugs don't bother me too much, unless they're big and bulbous. But I don't like butterflys all that much. Not sure why.

Related Posts with Thumbnails