Thursday, April 14, 2011

A midApril night's dream
























This picture was snapped some time last week. We watched from our window while huge flakes of snow again covered the tennis court right outside our apartment. It could have been kind of pretty, except that in my book any snow fallage past February becomes unquestionably void of beauty.

Then yesterday afternoon me and the little misses found ourselves outside, jacketless, and with the sun shining brightly. We had some wholesome good fun at the playground swinging, crawling through grass and dirt, and nibbling on rocks and leaves. Well, she did. I opted out of some of those activities. It's a shame I didn't bring my camera because this girl, er, that girl, okay, both girls, had a grin from ear to ear. Spring brings it out of you, wouldn't you agree?

Which brings us to today. No no, let's back up to only two or three hours after we cavorted—isn't cavort such a fun word?—through the playground. The sky began to darken and the wind began to howl and temperatures started fleeing and Clara and I found ourselves a: sockless, because not only does Clara refuse to keep her own socks on, but she now finds it completely unacceptable for me to wear mine, and b: huddled by the space heater, because we've dismissed our furnace, you see. He's under contract and won't be back 'til next winter.

Which now brings us to today. The sun shining through our window deceived me into thinking that April was actually in a good mood. I bundled us up slightly and we took a short jaunt outside to a get-together with other moms and babies in the ward. Halfway there, as the freezing wind gave my hair whiplash and threatened to blow Clara's blanket into smithereens, I determined that perhaps my decision to walk had been rash. After returning home, we shut ourselves in for the day, and yet again cozied up to the space heater—which has become so much a part of our home I kind of feel like we should give it a proper name.

By Saturday, it's supposed to be up in the 60s and mostly sunny. But that was when I checked the weather five minutes ago, so who knows what could be forecasted now. If I had to liken one month to a high school drama club president, it would be this lovely month of April. Oh the highs! Oh the lows! (I mean no offense to any current, former, soon-to-be or potential high school drama club presidents...but well, you know what they say. Leopards speak louder than actions that can't change their spots.)

Anyhuskerdus, we'd love to be spending more time outside. I am so desperately wishing for those gorgeously sunny days (could we at least shoot for two consecutive days?) that send me running straight for the Claritin. But alas, at least we manage to have fun indoors as well.







































































































On the days that Tom Thomas is home, Clara's adventure level jumps by about 12 notches. As does her disheveled hair level. Aren't those two the cutest?

P.S. Happy BIRTHday to Rachel's sweet baby Clayton!
P.S.S. Have you ever tried mixing idioms? Worth HOURS of good fun on a cold April's day.

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Is Tom using that candy/slide show projector I gave him for his birthday? LOVE the daddy-daughter shots. We are headed to the zoo today, maybe we'll see a leopard who actually CAN change his spots!

Mad Hadder said...

Yes, April IS a piece of work. But it looks like you're making the best of. May will seem all the more glorious!! See you soon!

Season said...

Shelly—yep, it's the very projector you gave Tom. Clara actually is quite fond of ALL of those toys.

thekerrclan said...

I'm so with you on the need for warm weather to come and STAY! We had all of those same crazy weather conditions today alone...just during our 4 hours of soccer games...a little sun, a lot of pouring rain, gale force winds...a little more sun...a lot of freezing...crazy I tell you...with a capital C. Love you!

lyndsey said...

stupid weather. spring, get here already. also i love that last picture with clara's hand on tom's arm. presh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails