Sunday, December 6, 2009

The stockings were hung by the heat vent with care






















Apartment life isn't very conducive to the inner Christmas decorator within me. I mean—what's a girl to do when she just wants a banister to add garland to?

And here's where I pay homage to our stately tree—hitting the charts at just a twig above two feet.






















Even if we had a larger tree, there're just no accommodations in this little abode.

But its puny despondency is really kind of endearing to me. I bought it, along with its glimmering get-up, in college several years ago with a room mate as an alternative for studying for a final exam.

Seriously, how could you not love a worn-down, battered little guy like this?






















Someday we'll have a home that has a perfect location for a big, strapping tree that's bursting with needles. And someday we'll have an actual fireplace to welcome Santa.

But quite frankly, I couldn't be happier with our meager little set up just the way it is.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have a Christmas ham to attend to.

6 comments:

Audra said...

Your tree is adorable and I know what you mean. Apartment life isn't conducive to any kind or holiday decorating! Especially when your toddler pulls all the bulbs of the tree!

Mad Hadder said...

If you can believe it I'm putting up an even smaller tree in the loft where you and the master will be. Be it ever so humble...Oh today's word verification is "Tunono". Tunono Leigh Giles...hmmm

Shelly said...

Mad Hadder...Tunono??? I like the middle name though. My happiest Christmases so far are the ones spent in a cozy apartment where we just "made do". A few shabby strings of lights brightened the evenings while sipping hot chocolate. I remember the Christmas I was in Japan as an exchange student, Christmas Eve was spent reading the story in the New Testament with a little red stocking the size of my thumb all by myself in my room. My host family got me a tree of some sorts (not an evergreen) and handed me a string of lights. They really DID mean well, but I laughed so hard I cried just because the scene was quite pathetic.

Mad Hadder said...

Oh Shelly! That's a sad story! I've never really heard it.

Tracy Giles said...

I love it! I believe the first two years Tag and I were married we just decorated our really sad looking house plant that a neighbor had given us. Lily's first Christmas we got a very small tree and shoved it into the corner of our itty bitty apartment. The next year we decorated a plant again. Then last year I killed our first real Christmas tree within the first week of brining it home. I forget how much they need water those first few days. I'm really hoping this year goes much better. Your tree is very festive! I love it!

lyndsey said...

cute tree. and good idea on the stockings...i need some of those holder things since of course we too lack a fireplace.

and uh...what RS thing tomorrow?? guess that's what i get for skipping church 3 weeks in a row. can you email me details? :) lyndsey.payzant@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails